Saturday, March 21, 2009

Roast Prime Rib of Beef with Horseradish Crust









My grandpa called me on Thursday when he found out that I would be coming back home for the weekend. He wanted Geoff and I to bring a 10 pound roast beef home for dinner Saturday night. At Costco they didn't even have roasts cut that big! We had to have it specially cut, but it was definitely worth it.

I've had this recipe bookmarked since last Christmas. I was watching the Food Network with my mom and we decided we had to try it. The last time we tried it we didn't have use the right cut of meat and it was too tough to chew. This time, perfection.

Taken from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/roast-prime-rib-of-beef-with-horseradish-crust-recipe/index.html

Ingredients:
We used a 10 lbs bone in prime rib
7 cloves smashed garlic
1/3 cup grated or prepared horseradish
leaves from 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
leaves from 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

  1. Preheat oven to 325F
  2. Lay the beef in the roasting pan, bone side down (you can use the bone as a roasting rack)
  3. In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients and rub all over the roast
  4. Cook for 20 minutes a pound to cook to medium-rare (the thermometer should read between 130F-135F, take out and let rest for 20 minutes before carving. While letting it rest, cover it with tinfoil)
  5. Make gravy from the drippings!

1 comment:

  1. That second sentence should read "Geoff and me", not "Geof and I". When the object of a sentence "I" becomes "me".

    ReplyDelete