Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I can't believe it's butter!



I had been craving banana bread for days and finally my bananas were ripe enough. This same week, I came across a recipe for homemade butter, and I realized that I had previously bookmarked 3 other recipes for homemade butter. It was fate, I had to make my own butter!

I chose two of the sites and kind of mixed together their methods for the butter. In this recipe, Dutch Girl Cooking uses a food processor (though I used a blender, in retrospect I should have used the food processor that Geoff recently got from his grandmother), way easier than shaking! and Omnomicon rinsed her final butter product which is supposed to make the butter keep longer.

I still have plenty of butter left, so tonight Geoff and I are going to use it to make butter chicken!

Ingredients:
1 pint of whipping cream

  1. Make sure the cream is room temperature, everything will be much faster. Pour the cream into the food processor and process. First, it will become whipping cream, then a firm cream and finally butter!
  2. Drain the buttermilk (you can save it to use for pancakes or biscuits or something that uses buttermilk if you want).
  3. Next, rinse the butter. Using cold water, cover the butter in water, and drain it several times until the water runs clear.
  4. Put the butter on a cutting board and press it down with a spoon and squeeze out all the excess water.
  5. You can now add 1/4 teaspoon salt if you want the butter to be salted, or any herbs and spices you'd like

No comments:

Post a Comment