Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Deluxe Grilled Cheese


I want to start by saying that I had the best orange ever today. It peeled easily, it was ripe AND there were no seeds in it at all. It was perfect.

My nanny makes grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch almost every time I'm home. She uses white Wonderbread, Kraft cheese slices and some crispy bacon and as she's frying it up she squishes it flat so its barely 1cm thick. The best part about the grilled cheese sandwich was that she always served with with a huge dill pickle. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, and I didn't think any sandwich could compare to my nanny's until the last time I went to Montreal with Geoff to visit his parents.

His mom had cooked a ham for dinner the night before so there was plenty of ham left over. She used pumpernickel bread instead of white bread. This was the first time it ever even occurred to me that you could use any bread other than white sandwich bread. She filled the sandwiches with real cheese and thick slices of ham, and it was delicious. I've been craving another one since.

Ingredients:
2 slices black forest ham
Gouda, sliced
Pumpernickel bread sliced
Butter
Tomatoes, sliced

  1. Butter the outer side of the bread
  2. stack the cheese, ham and tomato (I used grape tomatoes because we had them left over from dinner a few nights ago) and put the other slice of buttered bread on top
  3. fry over medium low heat until all the cheese is melted (5-7 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment