Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Scallops and Bok Choy with a horseradish emulsion


I love this recipe. It's sweet and salty and has a little bit of a kick. It's fantastic and very simple.

Generally I hate beets. Beets and peas. For this meal, I was able to get over my contempt for beets and do something delicious (I don't think I will ever be able to enjoy peas, I've hated them since before I could talk, just ask my parents). The beets were roasted instead of boiled or coming from a jar, the baby bok choy was fresh, and the scallops were giant and delicious.
My Uncle John has been telling me that you have to have the pink scallops instead of the white scallops. The seafood lady at costco told him that the pink scallops are supposed to be the females and are sweeter than the white ones. I didn't notice too much of a difference between the two, but you should try and let us know if there is any difference.

We totally stole this recipe from WrightFood and only improvised a little (substituting baby Bok Choy for Russian kale)
Serves 2

Ingredients:
8 large scallops (lightly salt and pat them dry with paper towel to draw out the water)
3 large beets (you could use more or less depending on your liking)
4 sprigs fresh time (I'm sure dried thyme would be fine though)
4 heads of baby Bok Choy
garlic scape or just 1 clove chopped garlic
1 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
Emulsion:
2 egg yolks
2tbsp melted butter
1 tsp creamed horseradish

  1. Preheat oven to 425F
  2. Wash the dirt off of the beets. Put enough water into a roasting pan to just cover the bottom of the pan and a glug of oil. Toss in the thyme and and the beets. Move it around to coat the beets in oil. Cover with tin foil and put into the oven to cook for 45min to an hour depending on how large the beets are. You'll know they're done when they are knife tender.
  3. When beets are done, allow to cool until cool enough to handle. Take paper towel and remove the skin. Slice into 1/4in pieces.
  4. While beets are cooling, slice the bok choy into quarters. Add butter, garlic scape and a little oil to a pan, and sautee at medium heat until tender.
  5. At the same time, in another pan add some oil to another pan, put on medium heat. Put scallops in, and allow both sides to brown. They will not brown if you don't pat them dry first.
  6. Everything should finish at about the same time. Plate it nicely then throw all the ingredients for the emulsion into a blender, and blend for a couple seconds. Then drizzle on top of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment