Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Butter Chicken

Geoff and I made butter chicken about... 3 months ago. We took pictures, and even uploaded them to our blog. Somehow we have been able to write twenty or so recipes up since this and have completely neglected this one.

It was really good. My mom and sister had been telling me that they have been making butter chicken from a jar for months. They kept bragging about how good it was and how nice it was to have my grandparents move out of my mom's house (there was a fire and they stayed at my mom's house until there house was redone) so they could continue to make butter chicken whenever they wanted without my grandparents complaining.

Finally I had been convinced that I needed to try butter chicken. I decided to make it from scratch since anything homemade has to be better than from a jar. I'm still not sure that what we made and what my sister and mom make is the same thing, but it was delicious.

Recipe from Taste Buddies

Ingredients:
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces (we used 3 chicken breasts)
150ml natural yogurt
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3 bay leaves
4 green cardamom pods
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp of grated ginger
2 garlic gloves, crushed
400g can of diced tomatoes
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs of butter
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 tbs of chopped cilantro
1/4 cup of cream
1 cup of water
Steamed basmati rice to serve

  1. Mix the yogurt, chili powder, bay leaves, cardamon pods, cloves, cinamon, garam marsala and salt in a bowl. Add the chicken to the bowl and cover it.
  2. Melt the butter in a pot. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and ginger, cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
  3. Add the chicken mixture to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add the tomatoes and the water, stir. Bring to a boil.
  5. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low and add 1 tbs of cilantro. Stir well and then cover. Gently simmer for about 30 to 35 minutes.
  6. Just before serving, stir 1/4 cup of cream into the pot. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve on white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment