Monday, March 15, 2010

Caramelized Onion Dip


So I have been sick since last August pretty much, and I've had to leave all of the cooking to Geoff. He is a good cook but it's been pretty standard fare and not too much worth taking a picture of. When we have made an amazing meal, we've just been too tired to photograph it, but today I have energy!
I have put in five hours at work, two hours of work on my thesis and another hours worth of studying for an astronomy quiz. Instead of continuing to get things done, I decided to take a break and make this awesome dip which was adapted from a dash of sass who had originally adapted it from Ina Garten's recipe for Pan Fried Onion Dip.I'm going to try and take pictures throughout the cooking process in the future like all of the other successful bloggers seem to be doing.


I think I love caramelized onions. I had my first bowl of french onion soup while I was in university out East. It was one of the few edible dishes that was served in the cafeteria. It certainly didn't end up being a good example of French onion soup, but it had caramelized onions and as much cheese as I could fit in my bowl... I love anything with cheese.


Sooo good! As you can see, the onions have shrunk, but that's partially because I couldn't help myself from eating them. They made the kitchen smell so tasty.



The final result was delicious! I've made this dip before, but I added more cayenne this time. A perfect balance between sweet and spicy.

The original recipe calls for mayo, but mayo gives me the creeps. I hate it. I never order sandwiches when I go out to eat because most restaurants add a ton of sugar to their mayo and its just gross. Instead, I just added extra sour cream and it turned out great!

Caramelized Onion Dip
Adapted from A Dash of Sass who adapted it from Ina Garten
2 large yellow onions
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 ounces cream cheese
1 cup sour cream

  1. Cut the onions in quarters and slice into thin strips.
  2. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Combine butter and oil in the pan.
  3. Add the onions, cayenne, salt and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until softened. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue sauteing for another 30 minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
  4. Put the cream cheese, sour cream and onions into a bowl. You don't need to soften the cream cheese before hand because the heat from the onions with soften it enough. Mix it all up together.
  5. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. i shouldnt be looking at this while im hungry but i can't help myself. i am definitely going to be making this dip soon. anything with caramelized onions is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks amazing!This recipe would sure come in handy one day.Thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete