Monday, April 13, 2009

Fannie Farmer's Calming Creamy Tomato Soup


I promise you, this soup is the best cream of tomato soup you will ever have. I had it for the first time a few summer's ago when I failed to get a summer job and decided to start my own business for the summer. I would go to my grandmother's every day for lunch. There was always a different type of soup and usually salad plus a sandwich or some chicken or left overs from the night before.

One day she pulled out her Fannie Farmer's cookbook (which is the best cookbook ever and will teach you everything you need to know to feed yourself well for the rest of your life and still be extremely satisfied and impressed) and made up this soup in less than 20 minutes. The cookbook describes the soup as being "calming" and it really is. After every bowl of this soup I am ready for a nap or to go to bed. NOthing else matters when you have this soup. It's that good.

Last week Geoff and I decided we were going to make it. Geoff had never tried this soup before and I had been talking about it probably since I met him. He fell in love with it. There was complete silence as we ate. There were no words to describe how fulfilling this soup is. I strongly encourage you to make it and to buy the Fannie Farmer cookbook yourself.

Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped up
1 tsp salt
1tsp sugar
4 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 cups of milk (we only used 3 because we ran out of milk and it was REALLY good)
1/3 cup butter
freshly ground pepper to taste
dried parsley for looks

  1. Open the can of diced tomatoes and stir in the baking soda and set aside (the baking soda prevents the acid in the tomatoes from making the milk curdle)
  2. Melt the butter in a pot big enough to hold all of the ingredients
  3. Add the onions, cook until softened and translucent
  4. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir (you've just made a roux!)
  5. Turn the burner up to medium or medium - high heat
  6. Add the salt, and sugar. Slowly add the milk into the pot, heat (but don't boil!) until slightly thickened
  7. Stir in the tomatoes. Heat until at desired temperature and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. what size can of tomatoes? My daughter is going to LOVE this with her toasty cheese (must have thinly sliced salami inside...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I believe we used the 540mL size can of diced tomatoes. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes works well here. 3 cups of milk.

      Delete
  3. Hi Guys - I have this cookbook and have never tried the recipe. Since we get the basket of veggies every two weeks, I'll try it in the summer when the basket is full of fresh tomatoes!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello hungry internet people

    I just learned that Fannie Farmer has been put up freely on the internet at http://www.bartleby.com/87/index.html

    its a pretty basic format, so you cant judge how well you are cooking from pictures haha

    ReplyDelete